Ranging from portrait-length to medium telephoto, the EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM from Canon is a versatile tele zoom characterized by its relatively lightweight and compact design. Its optical layout utilizes one ultra-low dispersion element to control color fringing and chromatic aberrations for improved clarity and a Super Spectra coating has been applied to suppress flare and ghosting for greater contrast. Complementing the imaging performance, this 70-300mm also features a three-stop-effective Image Stabilizer system that minimizes the appearance of camera shake for sharper handheld shooting. Additionally, a micro USM also affords quick, quiet, and accurate autofocus performance to suit both photo and video applications.
- Versatile telephoto zoom is designed for full-frame Canon EF-mount DSLRs, however can also be used with APS-C models where it provides a 112-480mm equivalent focal length range.
- One ultra-low dispersion glass element reduces color fringing and chromatic aberrations for high clarity and color fidelity.
- Super Spectra coating has been applied to individual elements to minimize ghosting and flare for greater contrast and color neutrality when working in strong lighting conditions.
- An Optical Image Stabilizer helps to minimize the appearance of camera shake by up to three shutter speed stops to better enable working in low-light conditions and with slower shutter speeds. In addition to the single-shot standard IS mode, a second mode is also available that is optimized for panning.
- A micro Ultrasonic Motor (USM) is employed to deliver fast, precise, and quiet autofocus performance as well as full-time manual focus override.
- Rounded eight-blade diaphragm contributes to a pleasing out of focus quality that benefits the use of shallow depth of field and selective focus techniques.
- Zoom lock switch can be used to keep the lens at the 70mm focal length position in order to maintain its most compact dimension when not in use.
Angle of View
34° to 8° 15'
Maximum: f/4 to 5.6
Minimum: f/32 to 45
Camera Mount Type
35mm Film / Full-Frame Digital Sensor
Maximum Reproduction Ratio
Minimum Focus Distance
4.92' / 1.5 m
15 Elements in 10 Groups
Package Dimensions (L x W x H)
8.9 x 5.4 x 5.35"
Front: 58 mm
Product Dimensions (DxL)
3.01 x 5.62"