With a magnification–objective lens configuration favored by professionals all over the world, the 8x42 Frontier ED X Binocular from Hawke Sport Optics delivers bright high-contrast images with true-to-life color and crisp clarity across its expansive field of view.
This binocular features extra-low dispersion (ED) glass with phase-correcting and dielectric coatings on the BAK4 prisms. Anti-reflection fully multi-coated optics round out the optical features, and when combined with the glass and prism systems produce bright and clear high-contrast images with accurate colors and enhanced clarity without distortion or fringing. The wide apparent angle of view presents an immersive observational experience with the ability to take in large areas without having to move.
A fast-focusing mechanism runs through the full focal range in just 1.5 turns of the large center focusing knob, making finding subjects fast and tracking moving targets easy. Designed to stand up to a life lived outdoors, the optical tubes are nitrogen filled and O-ring sealed to give them a waterproof rating of IPX7 and make them fogproof even when moving through extreme temperature variations. The chassis is made from an magnesium alloy to make it lightweight and corrosion resistant. Hawke includes tethered front and rear lens caps to add an additional layer of protection in the field, with the ability to quickly react to glassing opportunities without fear of losing the caps.
- 8x power magnifies view without sacrificing field of view or exit pupil
- 42mm objective lenses improve light-gathering ability versus smaller objectives while helping to maintain a compact form factor
- Compact roof prism light path ensures a slim profile without sacrificing performance
- BAK4 prism glass delivers a round exit pupil and a crisp and clear image with limited edge distortion
- Extra-low dispersion (ED) glass lens elements produce bright and clear images with accurate color rendition and improved contrast, without fringing
- Phase-correcting and dielectric mirror prism coatings eliminate internal interference, light loss, and diffraction to improve clarity, resolution, and contrast
- Anti-reflection multi-coated optics maximize light transmission to ensure bright and clear images with accurate colors and improved contrast and clarity
- Wide 65° apparent angle of view presents a spacious field of view to more easily find and track subjects
- Generous 426' field of view at 1000 yards
Use and Handling
- Closed-bridge configuration offers a solid and stable platform for the focusing system
- Large, slip-resistant center focusing wheel is easy to manipulate in cold or wet conditions or when wearing gloves
- Fast-focusing mechanism runs through the full focus range in just 1.5 turns
- Right-eye dioptric correction allows for precise focusing even for those who normally require corrective eyewear
- 56-74mm interpupillary adjustment range allows easy use by a wide variety of people
- Twist-up click-stop rubber eyecups for comfortable use with or without eyewear
- Long 18mm eye relief increases comfort and reduces eyestrain for easier viewing, especially during long glassing sessions
- Wide 5.25mm exit pupil will cover pupils as they open and dilate in low light to keep the entire scene in view at all times
- Strong and lightweight magnesium alloy chassis
- Nitrogen filled and O-ring sealed to be waterproof to an IPX7 rating and resistant to internal fogging when moving through extreme changes in temperature and environmental conditions
- Protective green slip-resistant rubber armoring with raised palm pad ridges improves grip security
- Hydrophobic exterior lens coating sheds rain and water and makes dirt and fingerprints easier to clean off
- Wide 5 to 131°F (-15 to 55°C) operating temperature range, -40 to 158°F (-40 to 70°C) storage range
- Tethered objective lens caps and ocular rainguard offer maximum lens protection without the risk of losing them during use
- Hard carrying case with neck strap, belt loop, and rear note/map pocket
Angle of View
Exit Pupil Diameter
Field of View
426' @ 1000 yd / 141.4 m @ 1000 m
56 to 74 mm / 2.2 to 2.9"
Minimum Focus Distance
Objective Lens Diameter
Yes, Nitrogen Filled
Package Dimensions (L x W x H)
10.25 x 7.1 x 3.25"
5.5 x 4.8" / 14 x 12.2 cm